Thursday, January 27, 2011

Sunday Mornings

My family is probably not the most unconventional family you will ever meet, but we rank pretty high. Both of my parents grew up in homes that were centered around family time and the meals that coincided with these times. The Sunday morning dinner table was, and still is, a time of togetherness and love. Piles upon piles of food are served and a rather polite meal takes place in my grandparents' homes. We are a little different.

My mother still insists on piles and piles of food, and we still have a room full of love and family. But, our Sunday's are far from the conventional meals that other families have. Most of the time we have people running in and out: my dad often takes last minute trips to the store, Kristen seems to always be getting dressed, and my mom and I are usually left stirring pots and washing pans, and there is even sometimes the additional guest or two.

Last Sunday we had an early lunch. Again, my mother and I cooked while Kristen did her hair and my dad worked outside. I was getting prepared to go back to school so we were all a little rushed feeling. Kristen finally finishes her "process" and we all sit down at the table. "Get-me-this's" flew around the kitchen as Blue Plate squeezed and knives began to cut. Any conversation goes at our table and I believe Kristen was singing a stupid 80's song to herself when she reached over and grabbed some Okra off my dad's plate. Don't ask my why, but Okra is a supreme delicacy for everyone in my family...though I can't figure this out, because it is in the store all year. No matter, we had some and we fought (hard) over it.

Pause: Let me explain about my sister's not-so-lovely singing voice. A) I am not a musician/singer, but that thing is not on pitch B) It is supppper shrill...like blade cutting into your forehead. That shrill. C) She loves to sing...refer to A and B.

Play: She had been singing all morning. Now, she had not been singing songs that I could tell...more or less phrases and, well, crap. My dad had told her to cut the split-your-head-right-open singing out and eat...When she reached over and grabbed the well rationed Okra, his eyes got as wide as a Clementine. This is where it gets good. He curled in his lips (the only real way you know my dad is mad) just about the time he was getting ready to open his mouth and begin a lecture...She belts "Calm Yo-self" right up in his grill. I almost choked!

At this point she turned to me and says, "You know that song that goes 'Release yo-self"...I changed it!" Oh-my-word. My dad just looked back down at his plate and kept eating...I really don't think he could deal with her in a serious manner at this point. 

Oh, about 2 minutes later I comment on how cold I was. Kristen then takes out her invisible mic and begins her rendition of  the "Bring It On" cheer and claps off beat.
Burrrrrr, It's cold in Here
There must be some Clovers in the Atmosphere

She does not Cheer. But I think it's funny that every time she's cold, this song comes into play. So...naturally I hit the beat. DomDom-Dom-DomDom. My mom then decides she would hum along as my dad's eyes get larger and larger.

I am trying to think what my grandfather would say if  I would have started beat boxin' at his dinner table...Probably nothing. He would have just shaken his head and said a quiet prayer.  :)


Please review the  link below. Sorry about the crappy quality.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IotiNcTQ3sE&feature=related

4 comments:

  1. Ernie would be heading to the liquor cabinet. Dakoda said dont play - everyone knows who the 2 guests are that are always at yo house on Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the Sunday mornings blog... I was laughing so hard that I almost cried. Can't wait for the next entry. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Only you could get away with telling the stories you write !! I luv ya girl & miss you bunches :-)

    AUNTIE DEBBIE

    ReplyDelete