Monday, August 8, 2011

Better Late Than Never

If you've ever been to Athens, GA you'll understand when I say that parking in a nightmare. It doesn't matter if you're there on Game Day, visiting a friend on a casual Tuesday night, or simply making a day trip to the great Classic City to pick up a key like my sister and I did last week. Parking is always an issue. True story: My first visit to Athens I got a parking ticket. So maybe I am a little biased.

This is the first thing I learned when I moved to Athens. The second thing I learned was that public transportation would by my best friend for the next four years. Although public transportation and I have had a few hiccups (and what relationship hasn't) we have managed to make it through the days surprisingly stress free.

There are a few rules that I have when traveling on the buses around Athens:
1) Never sit at the back of a crowded bus if you have to get off at the next stop; pushing is not polite.
2) Avoid wet guide dogs on the bus when it is raining; they'll always shake.
3) Don't stand next to boys with cutoff shirts; chances are they are on their way back from the gym and you'll have a hairy, smelly armpit right in your face.
4) Never run for a bus.

Now, some of you might question rule number 4, but this is by far the most quintessential rule for me. Background: I don't wear practical running shoes to class. I might sport a flashy pair of sneaks every once in a while if the weather insists or if I am planning on a busy day, but for the most part it is comfortable sandals in the spring and summer and low heeled boots in the winter. I don't have those cool, but oh-so-not-cute velcro Chacos to run around in on campus (Velcro...really?). Actually, come to think of it, if you see my running on campus, I'll have a hat and some ear phones on. I won't be chasing a bus. I have heard too many stories of people falling, skinning their knee, dropping important documents, etc. while chasing after a bus. And, I have it on good authority that bus drivers enjoy watching people chase after their bus. It makes them happy!!

I could not understand this little fact until I saw the light last Friday.

Friday Kristen and I went to Athens for the day to pick up a key. She also had to get a parking permit and pick up her books. Because parking is a nightmare, I drove around dropping her off, circling around and picking her back up. Our first stop was on a part of campus that is, literally, a big loop. I dropped her at the door and told her to double time it so I only had to circle once.

As I made it through turn four, I see this young woman in Nike shorts and a Kavu purse hauling it across the parking lot. Waving, no less. I immediately decided this was not my sister and pressed on to the designated meeting spot. As I drove closer, the young woman ran faster and waved harder...it was indeed my sister waving me down like I was steering a big UGA bus. Did I mention there were other people around...

I came to a slow roll and, just to mess with her, drove up a little. She finally got a good grip on the door handle and looked at ME as if I was crazy. I simply could not figure out why she was running at me like I was going to leave her...then it hit me. This is exactly how UGA Bus Drivers must feel like when students run after them. I have seen the light.

That girl, as interesting as she is, never fails to teach me things about life. Love you Big.

1 comment:

  1. This is a good one !! Love it & I have missed you:-)

    Auntie Deb

    ReplyDelete